Monday, March 14, 2011

Zzzzzz....How Are You Sleeping?

In the last few weeks I have made a significant change in my life.  As strange as it sounds, I think it has helped in what I eat during the day.  So I guess you can say, that I found a secret weapon to the weight loss battle.  It is called SLEEP!!!  In my younger years, when it came 10:00 p.m. I turned into a pumpkin.  My body would just shut down at 10:00.

In the last several months I noticed with no "set schedule" I went to bed whenever.  Unfortunately I couldn't sleep into whenever I wanted, as there was noise that would awake me. I will admit I got pretty annoyed and ticked off.  I have to remember I cannot go to the "angry and ticked off corner" that is how I got here in the first place!!!

Since we are all about improving our health, let's talk sleep?  Do you get 8 hours of sleep?  Or do you make do on 6?  According to health officials, the 8 hours of sleep our bodies require is indeed a REQUIREMENT not an OPTION.

I found this article from Samantha Gibbons, 10 Lifestyle Changes You Can Make to Lose Weight Naturally
Change #5 Sleep!!!!  She states we need at least 7 hours of sleep on a regular basis because our body needs to repair itself properly.  Also because of being tired we feel sluggish and less likely to exercise.  So what do we do?  EAT!!!  There have been many a times I was in this situation and could not stay awake and so I went to get a candy bar to pick me up.  Did it work?  For maybe 10 minutes and then I needed another pick me up!!! It' a vicious cycle.

 
I do think in today's perfect society we tend to cram too much into our lives.What do you do to get 8 hours of sleep a night or do you?  Do you feel it affects what you eat the next morning?  Your weight loss?  Would love to hear your comments.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that when I am getting enough sleep my eating habits change. Unfortunately I work weird hours at work and if I sleep 8 hours everyday I can get nothing done. But I would sleep better if I were not pumping caffeine to stay awake it is a battle. If I dont have soda I have tea or coffee.
    I also know that I feel better when I am not on caffeine but the withdraw is terrible and I end up with migraines.
    So I know that the amount of sleep I get affects my weight loss as well as other parts of my life including moods depression, anxiety and anger.

    ReplyDelete